Monday, April 11, 2011

Our weekend with Keller and the Keels, EOTO and Silo Effect...new paintings and new prints coming!


04/12/11 :: 12:46 AM

Home, home again...I like to be here when I can.

Aptly enough, I'm sitting next to the wood stove, though it rests, unblinking...no fires stoked tonight. I'm sitting here decompressing from nearly two weeks of almost constant painting or otherwise creating or promoting art in some way. Shin Chan is my best friend right now and JAMS is resting in bed, where I should most likely be.

But I'm sitting on a pile of photos from the weekend that need sharing and, as always, I feel a near constant obsession to share something with the world at large, so if I have your attention, let's get on with the show.

After working the morning shift at the group home, Jams and I were off to a location near Spotsylvania, Virginia where an invite only barn party goes down once or twice a year. Having been several times, I was pretty excited for this little shindig, which includes a smorgasbord of homemade food that people bring with them. This year was promising, with local (and national) favorite Larry Keel and the Natural Bridge, along with the one and only Keller Williams. A party with Keller and the Keels is always a fantastic time and the vibe in the barn in an interesting one to say the least.

It's like Noah's Ark flipped upside down in there and it's certainly full of animals, perhaps even two by two. It's been converted for music shows, with light rigging and a full sound system and a floor that tends to bounce when a good Woodchuck is raging. Larry Keel is one of my all time favorite performers and I feel blessed to have been able to see some of these rare performances which stretch leisurely after midnight with fun artist crossovers.

We had heard that the place was maxed out this year. We were welcome to paint, but there wasn't going to be any room in the barn. So, like always, when we come across an obstacle, we hurdle it and high jump the slumps. I climbed the steps behind the barn while Keller was going at it (playing only a bass the whole night...a new experience for me and one that lent to a rather mellow mood all evening) and set up a canvas. Jamie snapped this pic through a hole in the barn wall...


I had to break down right before Keller was done so they could load in and out so I moved the operation down across from the barn and kept working when the Keels came on and continued into Keller jumping in with them.


As we were driving in, Jamie pointed out some long horned steer which I had never seen before. I'm surprised because I've lived in Virgina all my life and just saw two of them for the first time that day. So the skull looking thing is my homage to those cows...maybe a spirit skull...



And sure enough, in the bottom right hand corner, a Native American Indian began to take form, which just seemed right. This piece would be titled 'Inhale to the Chief' because of the Indian imagery, as well as the Keller song by the same name. I'll have to do some research on the land around there to see who used to walk the land.

Finished product:

Inhale to the Chief: Painted live to Keller Williams and Larry Keel and the Natural Bridge at a private barn party near Spotsylvania, Virginia...signed on the back by Keller Williams...we'll get to that...
So with the barn party done (we actually went to bed early that night...I think both of us were pretty exhausted), we headed to Richmond on Sunday to rendezvous with Joe Bruce at H3ads Up Gallery, who's having a grand opening, replete with our art on 04/20/11.



CRB artwork including pieces created to the Heavy Pets, the Disco Biscuits, Break Science, Future Rock and more...

One of Jamie Morgan's paintings (JAMS)

After dropping off our art, as well as some Back On The Train Phish pins, we headed over the the National for our final stop of the weekend...Silo Effect and EOTO. We loaded in with plenty of time to chill and hang out with Silo, as well as say hello to Michael Travis and the ever gregarious Jason Hann. Jamie set up the easel on the stage for me but I quickly got word that I'd only be painting during Silo Effect. EOTO had a BIG projection show with them that was very impressive and they understandably didn't want to distract from the art going on behind the band.

The hour or so of down time let me finish up a custom Grassroots California hat that my friend Kensey wanted me to do for her. It's shown below. Rainbow elephants with diamond eyes, san.



Silo Effect is a local Richmond, Virginia favorite. They have a good fan base and make some really good music though they have a rough road living in RVA, I think. The town is packed with amazing bands right now and I think that can be a hindrance in some ways on the circuit, but I believe they're going to find their niche in the coming years at various festivals up and down the east coast.

EQ Produktions was smart to bill them with EOTO...Silo is a hard working band and they've really done a lot with what they have. I hope other folks tune in to these guys, especially if you like organic electro-rock. They dealt with some sound issues on this particular evening, but they soldiered on and played to an encouraged and enthusiastic crowd that grew with every song played.

I had decided before hand that I wanted to do a sort of Steal Your Face design incorporating the 'End of Time Orchestra' (the acronym EOTO explained). I tend to stay away from more recognizable symbols, but I do love the Grateful Dead and I feel the long chain of inspiration on the Wheel. So when I started this piece to Silo, it FELT really good and the brush stroked seemed to almost take care of themselves. I also wanted to go minimal because I'd gotten some feedback on a few message boards that my work was becoming too similar for them. So I went back to what I loved to do before I ever found the joy of color: intricate, yet controlled line work.

Om Shanti Shanti....IT begins...

At the end of Silo Effect's set

With Silo's set over, we broke it all down and took the painting upstairs to the green room. As we were moving back and forth with all the gear, Jamie pointed into EOTO's room and lo and behold, there was Keller Williams. I tend to be kind of shy about approaching musicians of his notoriety because I always assume they get so many people coming up to them that I don't want to bother them or crowd the or whatever. But Jamie convinced me to say hello, especially considering that my painting from the night and show before, inspired by him to a large degree, was right behind his head.

We said hello and I told him the title of the painting. He laughed a genuine happy laugh and said, "Wow...that's awesome!" We then chatted for a bit and he posed for the pic below and signed the back of the painting. KDub is a cool d00d.

Keller Williams posing with 'Inhale to the Chief'

Shortly after this, EOTO took the stage. Having completed most of the work while Silo was playing, we took a few moments to watch the show from the balcony in the National. If you've never been to the National Theater in Richmond, I highly recommend it. It's an amazing convoluted and spacious building...archaic, vaulted, visually appealing...it's a great place to see music.

Did I mention the EOTO light show was killer? I'd like to shake that artist's hand. I'd also like to talk to someone about projecting my art or projecting the process at shows.



We finished up the night by completing the painting in Silo's green room during the end of EOTO's first set and during the set break. The final product is below...I'm taking this work, the Super Ball IX painting and one of the Rock and Roll Resort paintings to the studio tomorrow to be captured, so prints are coming. The words 'Silo' and 'EOTO' are in the painting and the title is a nod to Phish.

Stealing Time: Painted live to Silo Effect and EOTO at the National Theater in Richmond, Virginia on 04/10/11
Painting available: 24 x 36
contact at crazyredbeard@crazyredbeard.com

So that was the weekend. Two new paintings and an odd trip with the SciFi family (Jason Hann even took some time as we were leaving to say that he really liked the art that we'd left in their green room. It was nice that he made a point to express his appreciation). When I have some time, I'll post some thoughts, photos and paintings from last weekend's Rock and Roll Resort in Kerhonkson, New York. We're packing a lot into every day here at casa CRB so it can be hard to find time to blog all of this out (hence whey I'm up with drooping eyes at 2 in the morning, finishing this up). But hey, I love you guys and can't help but give you a little insight into this world of strangebows.

SO...NEXT UP:

04/20/11

H3ADS UP'S GRAND OPENING!!! Art, clothing, wraps, pins, block party, grilling, DJS!!!!!!

314 Brook Road
Richmond, Virginia 23220


04/23/11

The 3rd annual
:::CHARM CITY FASHION SHOW:::

A NIGHT OF FASHION, VISUAL ART & MUSIC AT THE BALTIMORE MUSEUM OF INDUSTRY
1415 Key Highway
Baltimore, MD
8PM

More dates TBA...

In closing, I leave you with a picture of a small puppy eating out of giant bag of dog food. May we all be so lucky in life! Please contact me at crazyredbeard@crazyredbeard.com with any questions, commissions or comments. Please contact booking@crazyredbeard.com to book Crazyredbeard or Jams at your next event.

www.crazyredbeard.com

LOVE + ART + MUSIC + PEACE = LIGHT

Jonathon Blake :: 04/12/11 :: 2:12 AM

2 comments:

  1. Hey it was a great read. Could picture everything and it sounded like a great time. Thanks for the link I will definitely have to check back. I have really enjoyed the paintings/color palette of recent and hope you continue that style because they really are unique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a bunch for reading and commenting, Ethan. I've really been enjoying making art recently. I think the Goodness is coming through the Tube. :)

    ReplyDelete